Many of you know that before I became a stay-at-home mom, I worked in the Computer Software industry for over 10 years. I worked on everything from Apple's first handheld computer (the Newton) to Internet Explorer and Windows. Despite spending my days covered in applesauce, I've never stopped thinking about new software ideas, and I've been itching to get back to building products.
Today, together with my husband, I am proud and excited to announce that my first effort since leaving the working world is available in the Apple AppStore for the iPhone and iPodTouch! TripDoc helps you keep track of the things you want to do when you travel, and puts them all on a handy map so that you can find your way between your hotel, attractions and restaurants.
If you're like me, you start every trip with a long list of ideas from friends, guidebooks, the Internet, and more. I have notes scribbled in the margins of my guidebook and little scraps of paper with even more ideas on them. The worst part is that once we're on our trip, I'm often stuck scooting into a nearby restaurant, only to find out later that a highly recommended restaurant on my list was just around the corner. We have struggled with this problem for years, and since there's nothing out there that really solves it, we decided to create our own app.
What TripDoc Lets You Do
- Keep track of recommendations that you get from friends, guidebooks, websites and magazines. Adding new places is easy - just search for the name, and click on the right place.
- See all your places on one map
- Show your current location on the map, and easily get directions to the closest restaurant, attraction or back to your hotel
- Keep a list of favorites so you don’t miss a thing
- Mark places as visited
- Keep your list of places for your next trip
- Send information about your favorite places to friends along with your personal notes
Great Recommendations to Start
I am so thrilled that several of the travel bloggers whose work I enjoy and respect agreed to contribute their own favorite places to get you started. These show up in TripDoc when you install it.
- Pam Mandel shares some of her Honolulu favorites from her Hawaii Holoholo Wale blog,
- Beth Whitman, author of Wanderlust and Lipstick: For Women Traveling to India recommends things to do in New Delhi,
- Caitlin Fitzsimmons of Roaming Tales whose work has appeared in The Guardian, The Australian, Australian Women’s Health and Rough Guides recommends some gems in San Francisco and London,
- Amie O'Shaughnessy of Ciao Bambino recommends great hotels and things to do in Paris and Rome,
- Lauren of Northwest Cheapsleeps recommends a lovely and inexpensive hotel in Vancouver, BC.
I feel honored to have them participate in this way.
How You Can Help
If you like TripDoc, please help spread the word by reviewing it in the AppStore, posting about it on your blog, or even good old-fashioned word of mouth.
P.S. There's a free version so that you can try it out for yourself, but once you do, you're absolutely going to want to take advantage of our low introductory price on the full version.Related Links:
TripDoc in the Apple AppStore