We travel often enough that I can pretty much pack in my sleep. Still, every time we go somewhere new, I realize that we need something a little different than what's on my generic Packing Lists for Family Travel. Here are the extra items I found useful for packing for our trip to Great Wolf Lodge.
- Cute PJs for the kids. They'll wear them to the 8pm story hour in the lobby
- Swimwear - I usually bring two swimsuits for each person to avoid putting
- Beach Bag. If you plan to enter the waterpark before your room is available you should pack your swimsuits, googles and flip flops in your beach bag so that they're easy to access. Ditto on your last day, just pack your street clothes in your beach bag and carry the suitcases to the car when you check out.
- Waterproof bag for wet swimsuits (A Ziplock works great)
- Coverup for walking to the room - through the lobby, etc
- Swim Diapers if your child is under 4. Nobody checks, but believe me, you don't want to be the parent whose child causes a "code brown." Children sometimes have an accident in the pool long after they have been fully potty trained. Swim diapers are available at the lodge, but not surprisingly they're cheaper out in the real world
- Flip Flops for Crocs for walking around the pool area and the resort.
- Quiet activities (coloring or board games work well) to do in the room or lobby when the kids need downtime
- A book to read poolside if your kids are old enough to go in the pool alone
- Bring along snacks and any food you might want to prepare in your own room.
- Since treats like ice cream or fudge can be a big budget buster, consider bringing along your own cookies or other treats as well.
What You Don't Need
- Pool towels and life jackets are readily available poolside
Packing Lists for Travel With Kids
22 reasons to pack a ziplock bag when you travel