Wherever we go, it's nice to have a few toys in my daypack that the kids can use to run around outdoors. That way we can have fun even when we cannot find a playground. I always go for things that are lightweight, cheap to replace, and work well when you want to play with kids you just met in a piazza or playground. Here are some of my favorites:
We carry a Gertie Ball wherever we go. It's compact, easy to inflate, and tough enough to withstand the rigors of my kids.
- Water balloons are lots of fun if you are in an area with lots of taps (like Rome)
- Regular balloons work great just about everywhere else!
- Sidewalk Chalk works well on even the smallest scrap of urban sidewalk
- Birdseed (or some scraps of bread from breakfast) provides instant entertainment
- Paper for making paper airplanes, boats, or coloring in a restaraunt
- Bubble solution (yes, you can even put it in a ziplock and carry it through airport security). I've successfully refilled the containers on the road with a mixture of hotel shampoo, water, and a little sugar.
- Glow Stick Bracelets are super fun on the beach at night. Don't ask me why. They're inexpensive, and it's nice to bring along extras to share.
- A Pocket Kite works well if you think you'll find a wide open park.
- Blue Painter's Tape can be used to mark out tracks or starting lines for just about any game you might dream up.
Favorite Travel Toys