Last December, when the Passports With Purpose Fundraiser surpassed our goal to raise $80,000 to build two libraries in Zambia, we had another goal that we were more quiet about... to visit in person, meet the kids, and bring back stories and pictures about how our libraries helped the community. It was sort of "pie in the sky" at the time, and I'm just thrilled to announce that Expedia has stepped in to make that goal a reality!
This is going to be en emotional trip for me. I'm just beyond thrilled to be able to see the library first hand, and to learn more about Zambia. I know it will be emotional too, to interact with kids who have so little. In the back of my mind, I know I'll be contrasting lives Zambian kids lead with my kids back home and the life we lead in Seattle. I'm also nervous about leaving my kids for so long - though we'll only be on the ground for a few days, the long flight times mean I'll be gone for just over a week, returning just in time to celebrate Eilan's 3rd birthday.
If you helped build this library by making a donation or sharing information about Passports with Purpose with friends, we'd love your participation!
While we can't bring you all along in person, we hope to bring you along virtually. This is Africa, after all, so we're doing it the "old school" way, with postcards and pictures. We hope to gather hundreds of them to bind in a photo album and deliver to the school. It's a great way to show the kids in Zambia how many people, from around the world, worked together to make their library a reality!
- Send us your postcard (or postcard sized pictures). It can be a postcard from your hometown, a trip that meant a lot to you, or a picture of you doing something you love. Don't forget to write a note on the back!
- We'll be posting some of our favorites online, so let us know if it's not ok to share in that way - we promise to respect your wishes
- Put your picture or postcard in the mail by May 1 - you can send it to: Passports with Purpose, P.O. Box 16102, Seattle WA 98116.
I'll be posting about my trip here, but if you want to follow along as the trip unfolds, I'll be putting up pictures and thoughts as we go on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Here's where you can find me:
- "Like" DeliciousBaby on Facebook:
- Follow DeliciousBaby on Twitter
- Subscribe to my feed
- Follow me on Pinterest
- Follow me on Instagram
Follow Passports with Purpose