The playground sandboxes that were ubiquitous in my childhood aren't as common here in Seattle, and in dreary weather they aren't much fun to play in. So, even though it makes me feel like a bad parent to acknowledge it, Eilan didn't have a recent memory of playing in sand when I took him on our mom and son trip to Aulani Resort in 2011. He was just two years old, and frankly, that long white expanse that ended in the ocean was a little intimidating.
We walked along for a while, me with my feet in the sand and him with his feet solidly on the grass. He watched carefully as the sand kept swallowing my toes and releasing them again. Finally he plopped down just at the edge and, mesmerised, started to quietly sift the sand through his own fingers. We sat like that for 10 or 15 minutes before he suddenly took off giggling, running through the sand, and letting it cover his own toes and precious toddler ankles. Could there be a better Hawaiian memory than this?Related Links
Aulani Resort with Kids
Oahu with Kids
What is Photo Friday?
- Post a travel photo on your site. It can be about any topic, as long as it is G-rated.
- The focus of the post should be on your photo.
- You don't need to be a professional photographer (I'm not), but do showcase your best work, and make it big enough to see well!
- It's nice to include a few sentences about the photo, but it is not required.
- Link back here so that your readers can see all the other great Photo Friday posts.