Travel Documents

Go up

You’ll feel more comfortable and confident on your trip if you bring all the information you’ll need with you and keep it well organized.

Photocopy Important Documents
In addition to making copies of any important documents relating to your trip, you'll want to photocopy credit cards, passports, and your drivers licence in case your wallet is lost.

It’s a good idea to leave copies with someone back home in case yours are lost

Additional Information
You'll also want to bring the following additional information:


  1. Mary Thorsgaard on August 10, 2009 at 11:10 a.m.

    Do I need picture ID for my granddaughter who is 3?

  2. Debbie on August 10, 2009 at 12:56 p.m.

    If you are traveling within the United States you do not need a picture ID for a child of any age.

  3. jennifer on February 24, 2010 at 10:27 p.m.

    thank u for helping me with the id thing. me and my son is going to cali to see his dad. mine and his fist time on a plan. im so worried im going to get to the air port and not have what i need for him. what all do i need? do i need a birth cert to show to them?

    thank u so much

    jennifer& jesse

  4. Debbie on February 25, 2010 at 7:06 a.m.

    You shouldn't need any id for him, but it's always a good idea to have a copy of the birth certificate.

  5. Sarah on April 19, 2011 at 10:02 p.m.

    If I am traveling to another state within the US without my husband, do I need any documentation for my six month old daughter in the airport?

  6. Debbie on April 20, 2011 at 11:32 a.m.


    I've never been asked for documentation within the US, nor have I ever heard of anyone being asked, but still, it's not a bad idea to have the documentation in case there is any question.

  7. belinda on March 25, 2012 at midnight

    can my 1year old daughter travel from the uk to ireland i have a passport and only have a full birthcert for her????

  8. Debbie on March 25, 2012 at 10:32 a.m.

    In general, babies need the same travel documents as adults for international flights

    Here's a link to <a HREF="">immigration requirements for Ireland</A> that includes contact information for any questions you might have.

    Good luck!

  9. Chris on April 30, 2012 at 12:10 p.m.

    My 15 month and I are traveling to Brazil in 40 days. She has a US passport and a Brazilian (She is a dual citizen).

    Does the USA requires a parental consent letter for a parent traveling alone (without the other parent)?

  10. laure on May 2, 2012 at 2:13 a.m.

    we are planning to travel to vancouver bc , wa we leave in seattle . will my 4 month old babie will need passport or rjust birth certificates

  11. Debbie on May 2, 2012 at 6:08 a.m.

    @Chris You'll need to contact US immigration for current requirements about a parent traveling alone with their child

    @laure here's a link to the current requirements for minors entering Canada - at this writing, kids under age 16 need only a birth certificate

  12. Sharma Srijana on September 26, 2012 at 10:15 a.m.

    We, my husband n I were traveling with our 9 months baby , after 14 days. 1 month ago we apply his passport but we did not get it till now, n we cannot cancelled the ticket because it is too late. What should we do If we don't get his passport, can we travel. We r worry please suggest.

  13. Debbie on September 27, 2012 at 10:36 a.m.


    You don't say which country you are citizens of, but generally there is a process for getting an expedited passport (at extra cost). You'll need to contact your local passport authority for details.

    Good luck!

  14. shannonwhite on October 16, 2012 at 11:48 p.m.

    A travel document is an identity document issued by a government or international treaty organization to facilitate the movement of individuals or small groups of persons across international boundaries.In addition to making copies of any important documents relating to your trip.Your Security Guidelines are very clear and very useful to us.We plan a trip so that this documentation is very helpful to us.. Thank you for sharing your blog with us..

  15. Soha Markey on January 4, 2015 at 6:51 p.m.


    I came mexico with my husband. He is working here on work permit. We are expecting baby here. After delivery, i will stay here few months and then go back to india. After delivery , i will get the indian passport from indian consulate. To stay in mexico do i need to get any visa for my child or with indian passport and mexican birth certificate is good to stay in mexico. Please suggest.

  16. Jing on March 20, 2015 at 8:53 a.m.

    How about if the last name of my son on the ticket is not the same as mine? This is for domestic flight. Do I need to bring anything. He is 3.